Suppose you’re a student interested in marketing. Here’s one step-by-step approach I might recommend to help you discover an extracurricular that will stand out and make for a compelling story:
- Talk with lots of small entrepreneurs / nonprofits in industries that interest you.
- Keep a list of the ones you like.
- Propose an idea you think your favorite would like and offer to carry it out for them.
- If they say no, see if you can figure out something else for them.
- If not, move on to your next-favorite.
If you truly care about an extracurricular and become involved in organically, that passion will come across in your application. You’ll do a better job in it (and in the college admissions process) because your heart is truly in it.